Monday, September 10, 2007

What's that Big Dredging Ship Been Doing Off Sherwood Island?

Yet another question I can't answer, this one from Frank Mantlik, who has been watching the birds of Connecticut for decades:

As an avid shoreline birdwatche
r/naturalist, I have been wondering what that big ship is doing anchored out in LI Sound off of Fairfield, CT., where it has been for months. Just today I was able to see with my scope from Sherwood Island that it was a huge 5-crane dredging ship named "Johanna Offendorf" (I think). What can you tell me about this ship and its operation out there? What's going on?

I don't have a clue. Anyone else?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's not a dredge, it's a coal ship. I believe it's from Indonesia. From what I understand it unloads coal onto barges which supply the Bridgeport Harbor and Manresa Island (Norwalk) power plants. There's usually a ship there for maybe two weeks out of every month from what I've seen.

1:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, as long as it's only a COAL ship, I guess we're all OK.

7:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker