Thursday, January 24, 2008

Phoning It In Today

Chris Zurcher has all the environment news from the region that you could possibly want -- headlines and summaries from every paper in Connecticut and beyond, it seems. You can read them here and then subscribe to his daily email.

(There was no school today because of mid-terms and so no need for me to get out of bed at 6:10 to urge a reluctant teenager to make the school bus, so I had no time to blog for real -- and Chris's headlines make it easy for me to phone it in. Which reminds me: where does the expression 'phoning it in' come from and why is it used to describe someone who is taking it easy on the job? When I was a sports reporter at the Staten Island Advance, well before the days of laptops, I'd often be sent to cover a basketball game on Long Island, say, and with the game ending shortly before deadline, I'd have to write a story in longhand and then phone it in to the desk -- dictate it to some unlucky editor. That was phoning it in, and it wasn't all that easy.)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have a very nice blog, good post...keep up the good job

6:42 AM  
Blogger Christopher Zurcher said...

Thanks for the plug, Tom!

4:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker