Sunday, July 31, 2011

Sharks and Pound Net Fishermen on the North Fork

A very large shark entered a the net of a pound net fisherman on Long Island's North Fork not long ago, as reported in the Suffolk Times (I saw it on Twitter, via @Soundbounder). The fisherman thought it was a bull shark and let it go.

What really surprised me is that there is still at least one pound net fisherman on the North Fork. Pound nets are an old, very low-tech, labor intensive way of fishing.

In 1989 I spent a morning with a pound net fisherman out of Greenport, named Dan Dzenkowski. I had intended to include an account of the morning in my book but it didn't quite fit, so I posted it here instead. I called it The Last Fisherman, a name which obviously turns out to be wrong.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker